Friday 8 April 2011

HOW TO HELP YOUR CHILD TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN SCHOOL - Lesson One

I am really considering making a page dedicated to the teaching profession. A place to vent, give advice, and basically talk all things "Teacher".


I have been teaching for several years (taking this year off to have little Gooberfish!)  and I often get queries from parents about what they can do to help their kids.


I get asked this a lot because I am a no-nonsense, tell it like it is kinda gal. Parents (for the most part) appreciate the no sugared coated point of view.


So here it is HOW TO HELP YOUR CHILD IN SCHOOL:


1. Read to your kids and have them read to you. A lot of parents stop reading to their kids as soon as their kids can read. PLEASE keeping reading together! It is a great way to bond and share something together! Read novels, picture books, magazines, whatever! Some of the most successful students I have seen have parents that read with them all throughout elementary.


2. Have a positive attitude about school. Talk about the good more than the bad. Even if you had some bad experiences try to look on the bright side so that your child doesn't go to school with the "I hate school" attitude on the first day.


3. Set priorities. I can't even begin to count how many times a student will come to school Monday morning with incomplete homework and then tell me that they had a hockey tournament/dance recital/football game..etc that they were occupied with all weekend and that Mom or Dad said it was o.k. they didn't have time.
Friday after school check the back pack and make sure they have time set aside to do their work. Don't let them give excuses, it is a bad habit to break!

More to come...


Happy Friday Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment